The Provost's Midcareer Scholars: Scarlet and Gray Associate Professor Program honors and recognizes tenure-track faculty who have recently been appointed to the rank of associate professor with tenure and have demonstrated significant accomplishments in their discipline(s).
This program joins others, including the Provost's Early Career Scholars Program and Tenure-Track Fellow to Faculty Program, in advancing the Academic Plan and its goal of maintaining a premier faculty at Ohio State through all stages of the academic lifecycle.
Deans may nominate up to two faculty per year. Nominating units determine their own processes for selecting nominees, but nominations should be confidential and candidates should be evaluated by faculty who themselves possess distinguished academic records.
Eligible faculty must be within three years of having been promoted to associate professor. The program is seeking candidates who:
- Are outstanding scholars with strong achievements in teaching and service;
- Role models for other faculty;
- Inspire students in the classroom or other learning environments; and
- Have demonstrated commitment to service
Nominations will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary faculty committee. Selected candidates will be considered among the most gifted midcareer faculty members within the university.
Approximately 10 scholars will be chosen annually as Scarlet and Gray Associate Professors. Selected scholars will be designated as Scarlet and Gray Associate Professors for three years and receive the following benefits:
- Supplemental compensation, and an annual stipend to flexibly advance scholarship
- One semester without teaching during three-year period in addition to any other reductions in their teaching responsibilities
Scarlet and Gray Associate Professors will also form a cohort and participate in social and professional development activities organized by the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA).
The dean must submit the following items to OAA (email@example.com) with the subject “Scarlet and Gray Associate Professor Nomination”.
- Cover letter (1,000 word maximum) that includes a summary of the nominee’s achievements, a description of the unit’s nominee selection process, plans for the college to nominate the candidate for external awards, and a focus on the three key areas below:
- Research and creative expression: Enhances Ohio State's reputation by contributing to the university's research and creative expression agenda (the letter should include an assessment of the breadth and importance of the nominee's scholarly work relative to their peers, the impact on the discipline or society, and evidence of substantial national or international recognition that argues for future recognition at the highest levels)
- Teaching: Makes outstanding contributions in the classroom or other learning environments with a particular focus on novel course content, student mentoring and/or addressing traditionally underrepresented populations.
- Service: Engages in exceptional internal and/or external service and contributes to the institution, the nominee's field, local, state, national and/or international communities.
- Nominee’s current curriculum vitae (CV)
- List of significant previous awards, separate from the CV
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations are due February 13, 2023.
Please contact Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Patrick Louchouarn (email@example.com).